Cindy Owen

This blog has been created to serve as a gateway to inform the friends and family of Cindy Owen. Kevin will make regular postings as to the condition of Cindy and her treatment.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Disciples Prayer

One of the passages of scripture that's come to mean much to me over the last few months is what we commonly refer to as the Lord's prayer. The one I committed to memory is found in Matthew 6:9-15. This prayer could perhaps be better described as the disciples prayer. Jesus said to his disciples, "This, then, is how you should pray." (Matthew 6:9) When Jesus says we "should" do something, I'm thinking we ought to pay attention. Lately I have found myself praying Jesus' words often. There have been some nights when I have had difficulty staying asleep and I found myself uttering this prayer. I have prayed that God's kingdom, that is His reign and rule would come. I have prayed that God's will would be done on earth, as it is in heaven. I know in heaven there will be no sickness and death-no cancer. And so it is altogether appropriate to pray as I do many times daily, that his will for health and life will be done in Cindy's life, today.

The phrase out of this prayer that I am trying my best these days to live is, "give us today our daily bread." After all this wonderful language about hallowing God's name and asking for his kingdom to come, the disciple is instructed to ask for something mundane like bread. The important thing is we are told to ask for just enough bread for today. I often find myself looking beyond today and as a result I am seized and overcome with fear, anxiety and dread. I want to know what is around the bend. I want to know about tomorrow. I want to be able to control all possible outcomes. And yet I am reminded that I can control very little. I am learning to trust the one who can control all things. I find that as I live life as God gives it, one day at a time, whatever difficulties I experience are more manageable. God has been faithful to give just enough strength for today. I find that I become weary, overwhelmed and overburdened if I look much beyond the present moment. So I ask God please give us just enough bread; just enough peace; just enough strength; just enough hope for today.

Tomorrow is a very significant day as Cindy is scheduled for another CAT scan. We are hoping to see some progress. Of course the best possible outcome would be a miracle and the cancer would be completely gone. But we would also be tickled if we could just see some progress. We should know something by Friday and I will keep you posted. Yesterday Cindy had a great day. She was able to go down to the hospital cafeteria and and enjoy a cheese quesadilla. Today has not been as good. No doubt she is stressed about the upcoming tests. Overall Cindy is still very positive and optimistic. I guess the better word to describe her would be faithful. She has a quiet confidence and a depth of relationship with the Lord that is a joy to behold. I know I ask you all to pray every time I post but if you would pray especially tomorrow and perhaps even fast that would be much appreciated.

Have a blessed day...

Kevin

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES! we will PRAY! YES! we will FAST! YES! we will do all that we can do to hold you up to God...especially in HIS prayer that you love so well. This is a good "lesson" for us to look to each moment and each day as a gift...just enough to keep us going...our daily bread. We are with you in all of this and KNOW that God, in His gracious mercy and love, will hear our prayers. Love you so much! Love, Teri & Paul

7/19/2006 4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rest assured, that while "Each day has enough trouble of it's own" God gives us just enough strength to deal with that trouble each day. I struggle with this constantly, but I know it's true. I will absolutely be in prayer for Cindy tomorrow, and for you as well. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers every day. Love, Kristi

7/19/2006 4:55 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Kevin, your post couldn't have come at a better time. I, too, struggle with wanting to control every aspect of my life. I have a hard time with having just enough for today. And yes, I will pray and I will fast. And I will pray fervently that God's will be done in Cindy's life and that you will ALL have just enough strength for tomorrow. And I'll be eagerly and anxiously awaiting your report as soon as you're able to give it.

Thank you so much for this blog. I can't tell you how much it means to so many of us. Bonnie Bassham and I were talking on Sunday about it. She and I were joking about how many times a day we read it. It provides the connection with Cindy and you that we all crave. And no, you're definitely not boring anybody! I really do cherish this blog and I thank you so much for your willingness to share so much with us.

Love,
Kim Scott

7/19/2006 4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin, I am so inspired by the tender heart that I have seen in you. It was so nice to have you back on the pulpit on Sunday, your words meant so much to me and I too am so happy to be a part of our church family and have experienced the love first hand on so many occasions as well, both happy and sad. I hope it was a joy for you to preach, and that it filled your cup. You have such an incredible gift of preaching and sharing God's word, thank you for sharing that with your church family! I pray for your family more than you can imagine and know it can probably be a little overwehlming (in the most caring kind of way) to have so many people who are concerned for you and your family. I miss Cindy, I miss seeing her struggle to keep those boys of yours still in church and I miss seeing you as a family. I miss her prayers, and her beautiful smile. Please give her a great big hug for me. I know Cindy has the strength to get through this, I pray for peace for all of you, daily, sometimes hourly. I have a vision of Cindy that sits in a space of my subconsciousness, the space where unsettled issues usually sit, not always in my conciousness but in my subconcious. It is such an interesting experience, it reminds me of the vision I had of my grandmother Patsy that lurked there for so long after her death, a way for me to grieve I supose. With Cindy though it is such a vision of hope, and faith in God's great power. It also serves as a great reminder to cherish my children and be more patient. I will fast, and pray and keep that beautiful smiling vision of Cindy in sight and hope that tommorrow the daily bread that you receive will be plentiful and warm and fulfilling. I love you all and am so thankful for this blog. It is such a connection to so many of us that love you all so much. Love Tricia Bandy

7/19/2006 5:40 PM  
Blogger Bob Teel said...

Cindy, you are in my thoughts and prayers SO much today. I pray for your strength and continued faith tomorrow...and for great results of the CAT scan. I know you'll glorify Him. I love you, Sweetie. Remember how many of us are holding you up right now.
Linda

7/19/2006 10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin, I like your thoughts on the Lord's Prayer, that it might should be our prayer. I have used it so, too. On your daily bread reflection, I thought of the song, One day at a time, please Jesus...help me today, that's all I'm asking of you.... We pray a bright sunrise on Friday.

7/20/2006 5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On January 28, 2006, Max Lucado wrote in his Daily Devoitional website: "We need to hear that God is still in control. We need to hear that it's not over until He says so. We need to hear that life's mishaps and tragedies are not a reason to bail out. They are simply a reason to SIT TIGHT (emphasis mine). Corrie ten Boom used to say, 'When the train goes through the tunnel and the world gets dark, do you jump out? Of course not. You sit still and trust the engineer to get you through...'. The way to deal with discouragement? The cure for disappointment? Go back and read the story of God. Read it again and again. Be reminded that you aren't the first person to weep. And you aren't the first person to be helped! Remember the story and remember the story is YOURS!" (taken from "He Still Moves Stones".

We are all SITTING TIGHT and TRUSTING GOD...Today is a "special" day for all of us...KNOWING that the Lord is smiling down on Cindy and you and the boys and Barb and Bob and Rob and Kay and all of us who love you too. We are in that dark tunnel right now...I don't know about you, but I see the LIGHT at the end of it! Praise God! Love you so much...Teri & Paul

7/20/2006 7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home