Cindy Owen

This blog has been created to serve as a gateway to inform the friends and family of Cindy Owen. Kevin will make regular postings as to the condition of Cindy and her treatment.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

I think it would be good to explain the purpose of this blog at the outset. I want to communicate with as many of you as possible about the status and health of my lovely bride, Cindy Owen. As most of you know by now, a grapefruit sized malignant tumor was surgically removed from her body on Saturday May 13th. The doctors tell us thy were able to get 95% of the cancer. Now through Chemotherapy and other means we will strive to eradicate her body of the remaining 5%. Although Cindy has had some health concerns for awhile, this completely blind-sided us. Before the surgery on Saturday, tests revealed she had a mass hiding behind one of her overies. I naively assumed it would be something harmless. Cancer was not in my mind. Cancer happens to other people; older people. Cancer does not affect healthy 41 year-old minister's wives, does it? And so after her surgery and numerous weeks of recovery in the hospital the sobering reality of cancer is finally beginning to sink in. We are up for the fight, however. As Cindy has said, "I'm putting my boxing gloves on." Those of you who know her understand she is a spunky, faith-filled woman I would not want to tangle with. Cancer does not have any idea who it is messing with! We are both approaching this difficult journey with faith in our sovereign God. Now, let me bring everybody up to speed.

The good news lately is that Cindy's pain is being managed much better. According to her Oncologists this may be due to the effectiveness of her Chemotherapy. The thing that still troubles us is her nausea. This can be attributed in part to the lingering affects of the Chemo. We are really encouraging her to walk and move about more so that she will regain her strength and hopefully be home by the later part of the week. This may be overly optimistic but it is our prayer nonetheless. Cindy is also starting to eat a little better. Walking and eating are crucial as she needs to get stronger to fight the battle. At this time we are not sure how many courses of Chemo therapy there will be. She has completed the first course. So far she has not lost her hair. This, however could come later. There will be another round of Chemo in a couple of weeks. Following several rounds we will then check the progress of the disease. Our prayer is that the tumor will be greatly diminished.

Let me conclude by once again saying thanks for all your prayers and support. You are blessing us more than we could have imagined.

Kevin

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin, Cindy, and family,
What a blessing your family has been to us! I don't believe I have ever prayed more for something so specific from God, in my entire life. I have only known your family for a year so I can only imagine what prayers are being said by people around this world whose lives you have touched. We love "ministering" to your family, so please let us continue to help in anyway we can. We love you and you will always, always be in our prayers.
The Basshams

6/29/2006 8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin, Cindy, and those precious boys,
We are continually in prayer for you...my heart aches that I cannot just sing over you right now...but my heart rejoices in knowing who you are-- that you are fighters not quitters; that you are faithful and patient; that God is carrying you through this. Do you have any idea how many people you don't even know that are praying for you??? I get emails every day demanding to know how you are (people from Nebraska, Iowa, even California!). It's amazing. I hope you find comfort in that. God bless you as you learn to praise him in this storm.
All our love,
Josh, Mika, Levi and Noah

6/29/2006 9:37 PM  
Blogger H. Edmond Roberson said...

Our Father of Mercies, we humble ourselves before you, realizing we are but sinners. Having been ushered into your presence by the blood of our Savior, we ask you to acknowledge your image on and in Cindy and that you extend your mercies to her and her family. We thank you for your love, your steadfastness, and your faithfulness to your promises and your people. We trust in your faithfulness and in your care for your creation; we trust in your care for Cindy.
Father we ask that you extend your hand to Cindy and heal her; move your Spirit through her body and cleanse her completely as is befitting your child; one through whom you have been and are glorified by her life.
We ask that your Spirit visit her family and give each of them peace and rest; that you envelope them in your arms and give them strength and patience; that you ease their anxieties and worries; that you bless them with one another's presence and care.
Father we trust and depend on you; have mercy on Cindy and us all.
Amen.

Hoyt

6/30/2006 4:20 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Kevin and Cindy--
I'm so very happy to see this blog! It's a wonderful way for us all to communicate with each other. Hopefully the comments everybody leaves will fill you with hope, inspiration, and most importantly, love. I can't even begin to imagine how heavy your hearts have been these last few weeks. But please remember that you are being lifted in prayer constantly by those of us who hold you dear to our hearts. I say many prayers for you every day, but the one I say most often is this: Lord, bless Kevin and Cindy. Hold them ever so close to your heart and let them feel your healing hand. God is who He says He is, and I believe in God.

Love you both!
Kim Scott

6/30/2006 5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin & Cindy,

God bless you both as you fight this terrible disease. Lanell and I pray for you both daily...The Mountainside church is in constant prayer for you and your family.

6/30/2006 6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kevin, Cindy, and the boys, We are in prayer for your healing, pray to the LORD that he has HIS hands on you. We also pray for MBCC, strength to support you and Kevin. Cinco Ranch Church of Christ in Katy Texas is lifting you up Cindy and Kevin in pray weekly. Love you all Chris & Linda Pfeiffer and Ellen & Maggie

6/30/2006 6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin and Cindy,
I just want you to know that Tracy and I are praying for you guys during this time. May God shed His blessings upon you.

6/30/2006 6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin and Cindy,

You two are in our daily prayers, as well as those of your brothers and sisters at Cuba Avenue Church of Christ in Alamogordo. May God's healing touch be upon you!

With Love,

Al & Shelly Maxey

6/30/2006 7:37 PM  
Blogger pat said...

Kevin and Cindy,

Just wanted to let you know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. Glad you have this blog to keep everyone in the loop.

Bruce and Pat Thweatt

6/30/2006 10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Know that you are in our prayers and we will add your name to our prayer list in Tempe. The battle will be tough, but God's strength will see you through. In His love, Mike and Susan Tucker

6/30/2006 11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

KEVIN AND CINDY,
YOU ARE CONTINUALLY ONN MIND
AND IN MY PRAYERS I WISH I COULD
MORE THAN PRAY AND OFFER SUPPORT AND COMFORT. I KNOW THAT THE LRD WILL BE GLORIFIED THRU THIS AND I PRAY THAT EACH OF US WILL GROW CLOSER TO THE LORD AND EACH OTHER THRU OUR PRAYERS AND COMMON LOVE FOR HIM AND EACH OTHER. NOT HAVING THE CONTACT WITH YOU TWO THAT WE ARE ACCUSTOMED TO HAS MADE ME REALIZE WHAT SPECIAL PART OF MY LIFE THAT YOU HAVE BECOME. I LOVE YOU BOTH
TOM NOLES

7/01/2006 9:53 AM  
Blogger Ladytech said...

Kevin, Cindy and precious boys,

John 14:12, "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do because I go to my Father."

Your family is a blessing to me and I pray Cindy that you have a speedy full recovery. God bless and be with you all. You are in my constant prayers.

Mark 11:23, "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, Be removed and cast into the sea and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says."

Sharon Coble

7/01/2006 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cindy, I know that Granddad would have loved having a blog while he was still able to communicate with those who were praying for him on a daily basis. What a blessing that technology allows you to SEE your fellow brothers and sisters praying for you on a daily basis!

Father, YHWH, I ask that you show your favor to my sister Cindy. Tough her body with healing and become the strength within her very bones. And in the times when she is weary and hurting, allow her to hear you singing over her with your love and peace.
In the name of your Son, Yeshua,
AMEN!

Like Lazarus, Cindy, you will be a walking testimony of the power of our almighty God. I am confident in this. I love you and wish that I could be there to give you hug in person.
DeAnna Willman

7/01/2006 11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! There is a whole congregation praying for you in Livonia Michigan(our former home congregation). I am going to give them the prayer pager number, so look for area codes of 734, 313 and 248!!! I am checking your blog every day, and I am so glad you are keeping us up to speed this way. We love you guys!

Amy Parish

7/06/2006 8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin, Cindy and Family,
Kevin do you remember years ago when we met at the Cobb Hosp ER to pray for Sara Beth and I ask you to pray with me for the Grandson of a friend. The Grandson was there as a result of a car accident and not expected to live. We all knelt down and prayed in the waiting room to the amazement of on lookers.

Some time later I ran into the Grandfather and as a result of that prayer the grandson survived and was recovering. My friend thanked me and you for taking the time to pray for his grandson. I believe it strengthened his faith in God as he was convinced that our prayers saved his grandson.

We know that no prayer to God goes unnoticed.

I am reminded of that hymn " Thou has taught me to say it is well with my soul"

All our love and prayers to you all ,and remember Jesus loves Cindy and you all and He will see you trough.

Rick & Shirley Leger

7/15/2006 8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home