Cindy Owen

This blog has been created to serve as a gateway to inform the friends and family of Cindy Owen. Kevin will make regular postings as to the condition of Cindy and her treatment.

Monday, July 03, 2006

Today marks one month and one day since we entered the hospital for the second time. Following Cindy's surgery we spent two weeks in the hospital. We went home for a few days but were not able to manage her pain adequately, so back we came. In the last post I asked you to pray that God would hasten the day for us to go home in order that we might regain a modicum of normalcy. God must be listening to our prayers! Amen!! The docs are talking seriously about letting Cindy go home very soon. She has had a good day and a good night. The new cocktail of nausea drugs seem to be helping. I am praying hard that Cindy's tummy will once again begin to function normally and she will put on weight and add strength. At present she weighs between 100-105 and is very weak. Eating and walking will help her get the strength she needs. However, as you know, when you are fighting just to keep food down you do not want to eat and thus you continually get weaker.

I would love for her to be home for the 4th. So far we have missed our anniversary, her birthday, my birthday, Trey's birthday (our 4-year-old) while in the hospital. It would be great to experience the 4th with her at home. When she feels a little better and we are at home I am going to throw her a party to celebrate all of the things we have missed. I can tell you the oncology floor is not a great place to have a party.

While the oncology floor is not the most encouraging place, God works through Cindy even while largely confined to a bed. Not long ago one of the hospital chaplains came by to minister to her. She walked in and saw the flowers, the cards (we feel like celebraties as literally we get handfulls of cards daily from wonderful people all over the country); then she noticed her blanket. The precious women from Montgomery put together a prayer blanket. While I know nothing about quilting, basically they put their most encouraging verses on blocks and they sowed them together to make a beautiful quilt. As they pieced the quilt together they would offer a prayer for Cindy's healing and then tie a knot. All the knots remind us of their prayers. On the other side of the blanket somehow they were able to attach their pictures. As Cindy sleeps at night she is literally covered in the most encouraging scriptures you have ever read. The chaplain saw the blanket and was amazed as Cindy began to point to various pictures and describe these godly women. She talked about their faith and love. About that time the prayer pager went off. The Chaplain said, "What is that?" "Oh, that's my prayer pager." Cindy then told her as people pray they call the pager leave the number and as it goes off we know people are specifically lifting her name before the Father. The pager buzzes at times every 10-15 minutes. (The pager presently has a low battery. I will replace the battery today, I promise!) The area codes tell us where our prayer warriors live. And so we know people are praying in Georgia, Tennessee, Illinois, Alabama, California, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and from area codes we cannot even recognize. It's fun looking up the area codes in the phone book to see where people live. You talk about encouraging! Your prayers will see us through all of this. After the chaplain listened to Cindy she said, "What kind of community of faith are you part of anyway?" Cindy proudly said, "We are part of the Montgomery Church of Christ." Though she came to encourage Cindy, I think the chaplain ended up being more encouaged. I think the chaplain left Cindy's room with a greater appreciation for our community of faith.

Thanks for your prayers regarding yesterdays sermon. It felt great to once again to proclaim the Gospel that is found even in Job.

Blessings to you all.

kevin

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin and Cindy,
I am in constant prayer for you and your beautiful family. I want to thank you for your strong faith and belief in the soveriegnty of God in all circumstances. I thank and praise God for both of you in our lives and I try to thank him and praise him for all things. I know he loves your family so very very much. I thank him and praise him for the plan he has for you and for our church through you! I ask that he will shower you with the most abundant blessings, and I know that he will. My heart aches for what you have had to endure and continue to endure. I was so touched by the passion and strength in the sermon you delivered to us yesterday. THANK YOU!!!I love you both!
Carlene Patterson Allen

7/03/2006 12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin and Cindy,
Not a single day goes by that Paul and I don't pray for you and all your family. Paul and I have been through a similar situation and I know what it feels like. I dreamed about Cindy three times the night before and it worried me a little. But thankfully all was well. When I wake up in the middle of the night my thoughts always turn to Cindy and I say a prayer for both of you. I know God is a powerful God and I still believe in miracles.

The preaching Sunday was just wonderful. This is what the congregation needed.

May God bless you all and just know that the Ward family is praying for you every day.

We love You,
Paul and Esther Ward

7/03/2006 6:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kevin,

I remember you taking a class on Job back when you were at Harding Graduate School. Every time we would get together, you'd have some insight on what Zophar or Bildad had to say. I secretly wondered if those guys were just some fellow students of yours. Personally, I was feeling like Elihu! I guess that God was preparing you even then.

I pray you'll be able to make it home on the 4th. Keep us updated.

Joel

7/03/2006 8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your message yesterday was WONDERFUL, Kevin...spoken from the heart! It brought a real lesson to all of us and reminded us of WHO God really is. Thank you.
We are so happy to hear that Cindy is doing better and is getting stronger and may be home by the 4th...we pray for that too.
Trey did VERY well in Bible class yesterday...learning his sign language so well and enjoyed the songs. It was great to see him smile!
Of course, we have Bob and Barbara in our hearts as well as all of you. As a mother of a 41 year old daughter with whom I am TOTALLY in love, I can't even imagine what they are going through! By the way...when you get pager prayers from area code 765--THAT'S Teri Ann & Ken in Indiana! Their whole church is in prayer for YOU...I saw them drop to their knees in prayer when Cindy's name was mentioned in the prayer list...actually dropped to their knees...some prostrated themselves! Knowing how much we all love you has made them love you too!
We're so happy the quilt is pleasing to Cindy. I know she will enjoy it for many years to come! We love you and miss you so very much! KEEP THOSE BOXING GLOVES ON!! Love you...Teri & Paul

7/03/2006 9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin and Cindy,

We are praying for you and loving you here in Indiana. There is nothing we can add to the beautiful testimonies and words of encouragement posted here, but perhaps knowing that your influence has reached so far outside of New Mexico will give you peace-- your purpose in life has been so richly blessed by God that I doubt you know how far reaching your influence has been. You are clearly so special and used by God as a couple that any of us would nearly sin in covetousness to have the kind of relationship with Him that He would use us in the same way. The world is a better place because of you.
By the way, we pray for you frequently but do not use the prayer pager-- I worry about interupting any quiet or intimate moments, but please be assured that it otherwise would be going off regularly with the 765 area code....

Love in Christ,

Ken and Teri Sowinski
Union City, Indiana

7/03/2006 10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cindy & Kevin,
You and your precious family are in our prayers. The churh in Medina, TX, is praying for you too! We love you,
Suzanne & Duane Mock,
Michelle & Rebekah

7/04/2006 9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cindy & Kevin,
You and your precious family are in our prayers. The churh in Medina, TX, is praying for you too! We love you,
Suzanne & Duane Mock,
Michelle & Rebekah

7/04/2006 9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin,
You and Cindy are constantly in my prayers. Though are time overlapped in Albuquerque for just a short time I was struck by the depth and sincerity of your faith. I know that God will hold your hand through this long process.

7/04/2006 1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin, Cindy & Family,

We want you to know that we as a family are lifting your family up in prayer to our Lord several times a day. Keep fighting Cindy, nothing is impossible for God. Your family is so precious to us. Please let us know what we can do for you. We love you guys!

7/04/2006 1:49 PM  
Blogger Bobby & Annette said...

Kevin and Cindy,

We so hope Cindy was able to come home today. If not, we pray it will be very soon. Cindy is such a wonderful person. I know the chaplain was more encouraged and lifted spiritual by Cindy. I can only imagine the lives you and Cindy have touched throughout this last month. Your faith is strong enough to withhold anything. We have been so encouraged by the two of you.

I have read the many words from people at Montgomery concerning your message on Sunday and we miss them. Hannah and I are coming for a visit and I'm looking so forward to hearing you speak again.

We love you guys,
The Villines Family

7/04/2006 2:16 PM  
Blogger Jimmy, Tiffany, Abigail and Cooper said...

Kevin and Cindy,

My name is Tiffany Sanders and I am Lila Earwood's best friend. I have been praying for your family and have asked many others to do so since the very first night when Lila called me on the way to the hospital. Many of my church family in Searcy prayed for you. My family has since moved back to Ashland, OH so if you see 419 or 567, that's Ohio sending out prayers.

Lila speaks often to your strength, your faithfulness to God and to the amazing spirit with which you are facing this. I pray He blesses you richly for your work to Him before this and to the great things He will do through you because of it.

Love,
Tiffany

7/05/2006 11:03 AM  
Blogger Darryl said...

Kevin and Cindy,

Know you are constantly in my prayers. Cindy, I do not know you since I only was around Kevin during his "single years." But I know you must be one special lady.

May God draw you closer to him. As you struggle to make sense out of the sensless, may you experience his presence and peace.

Love,
Darryl Willis

7/05/2006 2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cindy and Kevin -

We have never met - Scott McDowell is a dear friend of mine and asked several weeks ago for prayer regarding Cindy's illness as well as for Kevin and the children. Today he sent the link for your blog and I wanted to let you know what a blessing to read the updates and witness your faith played out through adversity.

I have a post-it note on my computer screen reminding me to pray and we will continue to do so.

joe (california)

7/05/2006 3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for being an encouragement to me, and my family, while still being in need of encouraging. God is showing His Power and His Glory through your struggles, praise be to Him.
We love you and can't wait for you to get home Cindy!
Love to all of you, Owen family.
Chris Susan Kyle and Kendall

7/06/2006 6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin and Cindy,
I just found out about your illness. Penny Brown emailed me. John and I are in Mtn View, AR and we will be praying for you and will bring you before our brothers and sisters here. I am thankful for the time we knew you in Georgia, and will be thinking of you daily. John and Marta Hill

7/14/2006 7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Owen Family,
I want to let you know you are in our prayers. My daughters attend ACS and so so many of my Sunday and Wednesday Bible class children and there is not a class that goes by that we do not remember you in prayer and remember the doctors who attend to you. God be with you and you family.
Vicki Pitcher

7/21/2006 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home